Full CV with active links, or Back to home
Curriculum Vitae, of an experienced programmer, multiple technologies - 2005
Work desired :
Software Developer, Programmer, Coder, Analyst, Consultant, Tuition, with writing code being a favourite. Permanent, Contract and/or Part Time. Also a good 'mechanic' ... and lots of other skills ...
MicroSoft (MS) Windows (from 3.11 - 98/NT/2000 to XP) Workstation and Server;
Others: DOS, OS/2, VOS, Unix, Networks, CTOS, Emulation.
Technologies and Applications :
MS Visual Studio IDE (3 - 6 + .NET Framework) - C/C++/C#, Basic, Interdev;
MS Office (Word/Excel/Access/FrontPage/2000/XP - 97/2000) +Basic/Macros/SQL(RAD);
Knowledge of COFF, php, MySQL, J2EE, perl, SQL Server, Oracle.
Experience - By language
Assembler - Began 1982, and continued until no longer in common use - 10+ years
C (ANSI C) - Began 1987, still in use on current projects - 10+ years
C++ (+MFC) - Began 1990, last used 2003 project - 10+ years
VB / VBA - Began 1994, still in use on current projects - 10 years
HTML/DHTML - Began 1995, still in use on current projects - 8+ years
Access/SQL - Began 1996, last used 2003 project - 7 years
C# (.NET) - Began 2002, last used 2003 projects - 1 year
php - Began 2004, still in use on current projects - < 1 year
Work Experience - Brief chronology - 25+
years in IT :
2004 - Present: Various PC projects, upgrades, networks, web access, etc
2003 - 2004 : Sydney - Volunteering at Neighbourhood Technology Centre (NTC).
1992 - 2003 : Paris - Multiple software projects as an Independent Consultant.
1982 - 1992 : HK - Rose to MD, DCA HK Ltd, formerly Computer Logics.
1967 - 1981 : HK - Accounting, Financial Services, moving into Computer accounting.
1964 - 1967 : NSW - High School Teacher, in mathematics and science.
1962 - 1963 : Bathurst - Teachers College
Work Experience - Achievements :
2003 - 2004 - Returned to Sydney, Australia, seeking work … The NTC, where I volunteer, runs 15 IBM PCs, 11 on MS Windows 2000 and 4 on XP, running Terminal Server 2000 clients, providing Internet access.
1992-2003 : Paris based, was involved in multiple IT projects, as an Independent Consultant. Usually development and coding, in one form or another. Some overseas, in USA.
Examples, in no particular order :
* In 1998/9 a Y2K Bug related project to replace a Cobol program with a 'C' equivalent in VOS, running in a Stratus box. One of my largest commercial C projects, with many thousands of lines of ANSI C code over about a 6 month period.
* A full NIC device driver for Windows 95/98 and NT written in 32-bit assembler and C language using the MS Visual Studio, provided TCP/IP translation to and from an Ericsson Radio modem on a serial port.
* Code fixes to an American product for French Users. Source assembler, running on a Unisys BTOS/CTOS workstation connected to an A-Series mainframe.
* A multimedia project to develop a 16 (and 32) bit library (DLL) to convert JPEG and GIF (including animated) to windows bitmaps (BMP) for display in a French browser. Core was public domain and I provided the library interface for the browser.
* An interesting one was conversion of the internal MS Flight Simulator co-ordinate system to a Windows bitmap. This lead to TIFF, particularly GeoTIFF, and other world database technologies, like DAFIF, and multiple open source projects, like FlightGear, a free sim with world scenery.
* PC set-ups, upgrades, problem solving, tutorials and other projects mainly in MS C/C++ or VB.
And I maintain a range of personal samples/utilities using these multiple technologies.
1982-1992 : DCA HK Ltd - Computer Logics
Far East (CL), Hong Kong (now Attachmate)
Position: Rose to MD; Reporting: American Parent, DCA, Atlanta. Duties: Development and Sales of Digital Communication Software and Hardware for the Asian market.
* Always as a programmer, sold on the technological edge - be better and embrace local languages
* Started in 1982 in 16-bit assembler, to C, then C++. 10 plus years of solid coding.
* The initial product was PEP (STEP), a TSR type product connecting a (DOS, CP/M) PC, via our hardware, synchronously to Unisys mainframes.
* Software localisation for Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Greek, Arabic plus multiple European languages.
* The later DCA purchase added RLN, CrossTalk and Irma, IBM connectivity.
* As networks progressed, included gateways, servers and clients.
* Successes with large European accounts, like Lufthansa, IBM Germany, SAS, Amadeus and others.
* Turnkey projects for major customers like Cathay Pacific Airways and the Singapore Government, from negotiating the primary specification, coding tests, primary development, to testing, qualification and contract settlement.
1967-1981 : My new start in Hong Kong. When my 2-year Teacher's Certificate did not fit in the then UK based educational system, I gravitated to management and accounting initially. Working for a CPA firm, in the Financial Services Industry, I looked after a considerable number of trust entities. I changed to a firm using a computer and found I was good at working the machine through program modification to handle, for instance multiple currencies. This put me in a great position to take on direct ASM coding in my next position, putting me on track for the then following 25 years in IT, coding at the base.
1964-1967 : High School Teacher, teaching Mathematics and Science, Mullumbimby, Harden, ended in Broken Hill, to travel overseas ....
Education (since age 14) :
Bathurst Teachers' College, 1962-1963, NSW Teacher's Certificate
Gilgandra High School, 1959-1961, School Leaving Certificate
.NET Developer/Architect/Project Manager - began MS Visual Studio v.3 through 6 to .NET;
Languages - C/C++/C# Programmer; VB.NET; Access Basic Analyst Programmer/Developer;
Database Access, SQL, XML; Best at (.NET) ANALYST PROGRAMMER;
I love programming, in all its forms - I prefer it to reading a book, unless the book is on programming ;-))
Personal - Geoff R. McLane :
Born : 28 December 1944 ; Nationality : Australian. Married: Annie Bachelet, French, separated.
Address: Earl Court, c/o 13/5-7 Earl Place, Kings Cross, NSW, 2011, Australia
Telephone: 0400 385 194 - Web: GeoffMcLane.com
Application Area Systems : · Mainframes · Unisys, · IBM 30XX, · Mini, · AS400, · DEC, · HP, · Workstations, · Sun, but principally · Micro (PC) Databases : · dBase, · Foxpro, · MS Access, Relational, SQL Operating Systems: · BTOS/CTOS, · CP/M, · UNIX, · DOS, · OS/2, · VOS, · Windows 3.1/NT/95/98/W2K/ME/XP++ PC Languages : · C/C++/C#, · BASIC, · Visual BASIC, · Assembler, · in 16, 32 or 64-bit. Networks : · LAN Manager, · Token Ring, · Novell, · Banyan, · NetBIOS, · IPX/SPX., Eithernet. Telecoms : · Frame Relay, · ISDN, · Cable, · Digital, · Modems. Protocols: · SNA/BSC, · NetView, · UTS-Poll/Select, · TCP/IP, · PPP/Slip, · FTP, · X25, · ATM, · X/Zmodem. Professional Qualifications Principal Areas : Research and Development, Production, Telecoms, Networks, Client/Server, Program Creation, Databases, Multimedia. Language : English, with reasonable French comprehension. Travel Region : Sydney and Environs, but travel is not a problem. Functions : Manager, Programmer, Technician, Consultant, Trainer, Team Member ...
CV with links * Back to home